Tuesday, November 08, 2005

A Wedding Story

The scent of curry was the last thing I expected to smell when I woke up on September 16th. But as I stumbled toward the parking lot in my quest for breakfast, I was smacked in the olfactory by Eastern aromas wafting out of the property manager's office. I had spent the night (with Mom and 93-year-old Grandma) at a Motel 6, conveniently located near the Unitarian church in Columbus where my brother's wedding was taking place.

The bride and groom had actually tied the knot back in July at the courthouse in Missouri (where my brother currently lives). But they had also organized a church wedding in Columbus (where the bride is living and the couple met) so that friends and family could be present.

If you haven't attended a Unitarian wedding service, then you don't know what you're missing. It was brief, sincere, and lovely. No "bells & smells," no lengthy homiliy prating on from Ist Corinthians. Just a man, a woman, a minister and immediate family and friends. One added feature of the service was that the bride had prepared a complete Spanish translation of the readings and blessings for her mother (shown at right in the picture). Dear Mama speaks no English whatsoever, and delighted in testing my rudimental / rusty Spanish. And this picture doesn't do the bride justice. She's even prettier in person (heck, look at her Mom-- the woman's 72 but looks 60). And while her suit looks more silver here, it was actually a gorgeous sea-foam green.

I'm just glad to see my brother married again. After his first failed attempt I was afraid he might not opt to get back in the saddle. This was the bride's (who just turned 40) first dance with matrimony. They make an adorable couple-- three cheers to them in their new endeavor!

5 Comments:

At 12:49 AM, Blogger Heather said...

It sounds like a lovely wedding.

A mentally ill man here in my town murdered his bedridden mother and then made a shrine to her and placed her in the middle of it at our Unitarian church. Now, every time I hear about a Unitarian church, I have that image in my head.

Gruesome, eh?

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Laura said...

One of these days I'll ramble a bit about my experiences / exposure to Unitarianism to-date ;-)

No carnage, no ritualistic situations... Just a lot of very "earthy" types.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

Congratulations to the bride and groom!

No way is that bride 40. She looks like a kid.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I didn't mean to imply that Unitarians are ritualists. Its just that we only have one Unitarian church and that horrible thing happened there. Sorry if it came out wrong.

His mental illness was solely responsible for his act. He just happened to be a janitor at the church and that's why he took here there.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Melonie said...

What a nice picture. I look older than her mom!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home