Monday, August 21, 2006

What's New, Pussycat?

Well, she's done it again... Melonie, aka The Human Steamroller, has brought my hum-drum existance to a new level of fun and fantasy. She called me Friday night and said tersely into the phone, "Can you be here in two minutes?" And I, naturally assuming that 1) one of her kids is sick/injured, 2) her husband / father-in-law was sick/injured, or 3) some combination of the former, jumped in my car and FLEW to her house in something like 2.5 minutes.

As I rounded the corner to her street, I didn't see smoke, an ambulance or police cruiser lights swirling. There was only a red wanna-be SUV parked diagonally in front of her house, with a boy squatting by the curb looking into a laundry basket. Filled with kittens.

Most unexpectedly, I found myself driving home with a we-e-e-e-e-e tiny fuzzy, rusty black girl kitten with blue eyes-- now named Stella. The poor little thing is smaller than my foot, weighs less than minute, and is quickly winning her brother Harpo over, in spite of LOUD protestations on his part when I introduced them... She's awful cute-- I think he'll get over it, forgive & forget, learn to accept the inevitable. Just as I have with Melonie-- the less I fight, the easier it goes ;-)

7 Comments:

At 9:12 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Awww! Stella sounds so sweet!

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Melonie said...

What? Steamroller? Holey Moley, one teeny tiny cat and I am a steam roller? Geez! You forgot to mention I also gained a new kitten.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Gordon said...

Hmm melonie I think it's in reference to the effect you had on her ;) - you go and declare a "grade 1" alert over a kitten okay an extremely cute kitten so maybe you'll be forgiven ;) just maybe
** hugs ya and then carefully picks up new kitten and gives her a hug too **

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

It's a good thing i'm not in the neighborhood because I'm a sucker for a baby animal. I've got enough though for now!!! Stella is a cute name.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Sharon said...

Yes. I know this steamroller of which you speak. :)

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Melonie said...

I just don't know to which Melonie you all are referring.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Yeah, the Melonie I know is soft and pliable . . .

NOT!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home