Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Greener Pastures


Happy Blog-A-Versary to ME!


(thank Carlos for goading me into posting, thereby reminding me that my BV had in fact rolled round again!)


And so it goes, and so it goes... Three whole trips round the sun since this once verdant blog burst "Fresh Outta the Shell" and clamored its way into being. Who knew that now, every bit as much as then, that I would still NEED this blog, as both a mental & creative vent?


In addition to offering my remaining reader(s?) a literary bone, I'll offer my apology (soak it up-- I don't hand 'em out often)-- even though I don't post nearly as frequently as I did in the early days, not a day goes by that I don't bobble at least one brief idea for a post through my mental processes. I do-- I swear! I WON'T offer excuses-- in general I don't give excuses much credence, and even for those who DO, I won't do it on principle. Too many reasons, almost none of them valid...


So let's keep this light. Deal?


One fun thing I had the opportunity to do this week was to conduct a telephone interview with Andre Raphel Smith-- conductor of the Wheeling Symphony Orchestra. The interview was a precursor to an article I've been commissioned to write for the next edition of InWheeling Magazine. This article marks an entire year of being a "feature writer" (insert supercilious smirk here) for the publication & is yet another outlet that I have been using to satisfy my writing muse. Sadly (for me), all of the articles / pieces to this point have been fact heavy & flavor lite-- none of them has been a forum for writing in my own "voice" as it were.
But that will be the next step-- finding a source for writing about life & all its idiosyncrasies.

It was conducting that interview that reminded me that I do, in fact, NEED to write. Just knowing that I'll get to flex my mental muscles and craft an article gets me happy-- happy in ways that not much in my life has succeeded in doing for a good long while... My hope is that more like opportunities are approaching on my horizon.

4 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Carlos said...

Yay, shes back! Happy BV!

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Gordon said...

Carlos, thank you for getting Laura to post once more it is a joy to read. My own BV is coming up next month gosh have I really been twittering on that long I guess I have.
That is the one thing dear about writing for a magazine you often have to fit it in with the style of the publication which is not necessarily your own personal style.
That is why you have this blog remember for the flavor heavy stuff of life..
*** Hugs n smootchies ***

G
I know I'm terrible but would you have me any other way?

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Barb Black said...

*putters around the office chaneling Elton John*

Oh the bitch, yeah, the bitch, well the bitch is back... stone cold sober as a matter of fact...

(now THERE's some poetic license!)

Cheers, Dahlink! Thanks for all the many ways you keep me inspired.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Gordon said...

I flipped back to that post and a few early ones and well what can I say makes me appreciate you even more
XXXXXX
*raises a toast to you*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home